Webb Ellis Cycle Pilgrimage: The Close to Twickenham Day 1
A cycle pilgrimage from the birthplace of rugby football to where William Webb Ellis is buried in Menton, France.
Join us for the first leg of this journey from The Close to Twickenham. Approximately 98.5 miles in one day!
This exciting challenge is not for the faint hearted and training a definite must for those wishing to take part! You will be supported along the route by our team of marshal’s and the feel-good factor will be immense!
Cyclists will set off from The Close in groups of 10 between 6.30am and 8.30am on Sunday 2nd July 2023. Cycling time is around 8 and a half hours plus pit stops for refuelling.
The day will finish with a celebration at Twickenham: cyclists will enter the stadium via the Rose & Poppy Gates and players tunnel for a pitch-side BBQ and celebration photo. Friends and family are more than welcome to join for this event by purchasing a celebration ticket here. Eventbrite link
Cyclist entry fee & requirements:
- £99 to include a commemorative cycle top, certificate, water and energy stations along the route, celebration photo and BBQ at Twickenham.
- Riders should make their own way to The Close in the morning and from Twickenham at the end of the day.
- Transport can be arranged back to Rugby at an additional charge.
- A small rucksack can be taken on one of the support vehicles which will be accessible at the lunch stop and then at Twickenham.
- All riders take part at their own risk, we strongly advise you to seek medical advice before taking part and Rugby School can take no responsibility for any injuries.
- Mechanical support will be available, but all riders should be able to mend a puncture.
Riders are encouraged to raise awareness and £1,000 for the two charities we are supporting for this event:
- 1823 bursary for a talented sports person to be fully educated at Rugby School
- Matt Hampson Foundation
All amounts raised through donations will be split 50/50
Once registered you will receive a participation form to complete along with a training and sponsorship pack.