Stanley House, 3 Barby Road, Rugby, CV22 5DN
Tel: +44 (0) 1788 556 200 | Email: email@example.com
ABOUT THE HOUSE
Stanley is a House for girls joining the School for their Sixth form years and draws pupils from a wide range of educational backgrounds and nationalities. The private side of Stanley was built in 1824, and added rooms at the rear became available to boys in 1828. The School purchased the House in the 1930s when it was named Stanley House, after Dean Stanley, an eminent Old Rugbeian.
The House is a strange architectural mix of redbrick Victorian and award-winning 1950s front. In 1992 it was closed for a year of renovation and transformation into a girls’ House – though School House boys were in fact the first occupants (1993-95) while their House was renovated. The principal victim of renovation was the old Head of House study, which became a well appointed bathroom.
Stanley House is a lively, vibrant house in which the girls are actively encouraged to take responsibility for both their academic studies and extra-curricular involvement. From the onset the girls are submerged in the Rugby way of life and those first few months are hectic but rewarding as the girls find their way as a Rugbeian. They develop independence and a sense of responsibility for their own future whilst being aptly supported by an experienced team of House tutors, Matrons and Housemistress. Life in Stanley revolves around the girls common rooms, which are often full of Stanley girls and visitors from which much noise emerges. We also have a fully equipped kitchen, in which the girls can do their own cooking and entertain friends, another cosy common room called the ‘Den’ and a House gym.
Stanley provides a homely environment which allows the girls to develop their independence in readiness for their future lives beyond school. The two years are full of new experiences in which the girls learn a lot about their own strengths and talents as they go about their daily life with energy and a willingness to have a go. Being a Stanley girl is great preparation for the rest of their lives!
Alix arrived in Rugby in 2015 as an English teacher and she spent two years as Keeper of Scholars before taking on the role of Housemistress of Stanley. As a published poet, Alix runs the creative writing group and edits the school anthology, ‘Rabbit Hole’.
Originally from Bath, Alix studied French and Spanish at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, with a year abroad studying History of Art in Montpellier.
Alix is married to Dr Tim Coker, the School’s Artistic Director and they have two sons, Milo, who is a student in Town House, and Finn, a keen footballer. As a family, they enjoy going to the theatre, travelling and escaping to Hay-On-Wye to kayak, walk and read. They have two cats. Stella and the appropriately named Stanley.
When she is not teaching, Alix likes to be active and she has run half and full marathons. In her less active moments, she is usually found with her nose in a good book.
Aya Abrahams joined Rugby School’s Geography Department in 2016 after graduating from St Catherine’s College, University of Oxford. She tutored in Tudor for 2 years before joining Stanley House as Assistant Housemistress. When not in the classroom, Aya also coaches sport and has also taken several school trips, including a 4 week trip to Madagascar.
Outside of school Aya enjoys running, having completed several half and full marathons, and is also a keen cyclist.
Hm: Miss A Scott-Martin
3 Barby Road, Rugby, CV22 5DN
Tel: 556 200